Wednesday, April 12, 2006

little disciplines

I gave up non-dairy creamer for Lent. (The flavored kind) That doesn't sound like much, but it's my favorite way to drink coffee... that first burst of caffeine in the morning, softened by a splash of vanilla or hazelnut or best of all, amaretto. I also gave up video games, but that one didn't last more than a week. I spoke to God about it and He understood completely and has already forgiven me. You think I'm kidding, don't you?

Giving up things just for the sake of giving them up takes a mindset that doesn't come natural to me. I understand sacrifice, but not when it's arbitrary. Last year I kept asking why do we all give up chocolate, movies, TV, ice cream... even on Monday, our Sabbath? Chocolate is a big deal for some of us, but it's nothing for others. So why not make choices that mean something individually to each sister?

"Because that's the way we've always done it." does not compute well with me either. But I complied last year and it didn't kill me. It didn't especially nourish me spiritually though. This year at Melrose the decision-making process was much looser. It was left to each sister to work out her own Lenten discipline. So along with the successful non-dairy creamer, I added some disciplines that have nourished me tremendously. For one, I stuck with the online book club... made it a priority to post as thoughtfully as I could, and in the process came to respect and admire some women who are on very different spiritual paths than I. I think the feeling is mutual.

I made the weekly train ride to the city sacred ground... time for thought, prayer, meditation, and in the process found that anywhere can be sacred ground if we only will treat it as such. Little disciplines reap huge side effects. Ordinary things done with extraordinary love become the foundation for a life worth living, But that's not the way I've always done it.

4 comments:

HeyJules said...

I'm so happy to know that CCC was one of your disciplines! I can't imagine it without you, CJ. You color my day every time you post and you've dispelled almost every 'nun' myth I've ever had.

(And yes, I mean that in a nice way!)

Pilot Mom said...

CJ, I'm going to try this for the third time and hope it 'takes.'

I've really enjoyed having you in CCC. You make me think, which in turn makes me dig deeper into the Word of God. I hope you are going to continue the journey with us whenever we begin a new book!

Blessings to you, my Friend!

Pilot Mom said...

Hallelujah! Finally! My comment made it through! ;D

dangermama said...

I too am glad that you stayed with us over at CCC - you make me look outside myself alot and I am grateful for that....

funny that you mention video games - thats what my husband gave up for lent.... :)