Wednesday, February 27, 2008

what honor?

I have a new hobby. Well, it's not exactly new, I've just taken it to a new level. Movie watching. Specifically all the movies I've wanted to see over the years, (many Academy Award nominees) but for one reason or another... just never saw. My son gave me one of those cute little portable DVD players a couple of Christmases ago and it's been one of my favorite toys.

It began with all the DVDs we actually have on the shelf here in the convent, which isn't many. Then I had a gift certificate to Blockbuster which was good for a few more, then I discovered paydirt... the library. Yes, I actually even borrow books from the library, but truth be told, I'm mostly after the DVDs. I started with whatever happened to be on the shelf that looked remotely interesting. In the past year I have seen more foreign films with subtitles than I ever saw in the year I actually took a class in foreign films. My favorite was an Indian film The Namesake, produced and directed by Mira Nair.

But when I found out recently that the library has an online search engine and you can type in things like Heath Ledger... a whole new level of opportunity opened up to me. I watched the entire series of ROAR, and have a few more of his movies on hold for when they become available.

I finally got to see Prizzi's Honor. I can't tell you how many people have told me what a great flick that was. Okay. I don't get it. It was billed as a comedy, yet it wasn't especially funny. And what honor is there in two people supposedly crazy about each other who don't mind killing each other? Maybe you had to be there.

No comments: