Tuesday, January 15, 2008

fragments

... Jesus went largely unnoticed during his lifetime. His closest friends were perplexed by him. John the Baptist was raising questions many months after baptizing Jesus. His impact hadn't been a blinding revelation, but a gradual, grudging discovery of fragments.

I believe that the more typical pathway to faith and new life is a journey of many steps, many false starts, many small victories over self, and a gradual embracing of God as God is. —Tom Erich


That certainly makes sense to me. Especially the gradual, grudging part. Especially the false starts and small victories part. Much as it might be cool to have a "Road to Damascus" revelation, it ain't going to happen for most of us. Experiencing God in the little ordinary moments is when I usually find strength to go on.

Last night I had supper in a little Indian restaurant a few blocks from our convent. It was Monday and a quiet night. Five-thirty is early for New York diners; nobody was in there but me. Yet the food was spectacular, the best sag I've eaten in a long time, maybe ever. I sat all by myself by the window, enthralled by the twinkling little white lights, the cut-out doilies on the tables, and the excellent food. Why was I the only one there? Shouldn't someone tell the world what a good place to eat this was?

Soft Indian music played in the background and I savored the quiet as well as the food. No more questions, no more worries... just the fragments... reminders that I don't have to fix the world. I don't even have to fix myself. Just take the precious moments when they come.

Oh, if you're ever on Broadway on the upper west side, Calcutta Cafe is at 105th. The best sag ever. (And they deliver.)

2 comments:

Episcopollyanna said...

Beautiful. And sounds delicious! :)

alto artist said...

Just found your blog via Blog 365.. . I know that restaurant well! I pass it every day; it's been awhile since I went it, so thank you for the reminder (and this beautiful post).

--aa.