Saturday, January 07, 2006

My first "review"

At the suggestion of a friend (who earlier had tuned me in to Joan of Arcadia) I requested that last night we watch the pilot for the new series "Book of Daniel".

Good grief! What can I say? Monty Python goes to church? I am so confused about what this series is trying to do… could it be: collect all stereotypical symbols available to the western world and splash them around the screen in a sit-com? If so, it was funny only because (about a third of the way through) we started asking "what haven't they covered?" There was substance abuse, sexual promiscuity, racism, the gay issue, stealing,embezzlementt, drug dealing, alzheimers, power plays and Jesus Christ Himself as a very non-Jewish stand-up comic. I'm sure I've left something out…

The English seem to be able to mock themselves with more success than we do. Case in point: The Vicar of Dibley series. We bungled it big time. What surprises me, is that Aidan Quinn and Ellen Burstyn, both excellent actors, allowed themselves to appear as part of the charade. The Episcopal Church-bashing didn't bother me: I'm used to poking fun at myself, and there were enough Catholic innuendos to offset anyone thinking this was about our church only.

Surely this can't be a hit?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to watch it, but was out celebrating my birthday--and being honest with someone I needed to open up with about some stuff. ;-)

I don't necessarily have high hopes for ths show, but I'm usually up for some irreverence...

Anonymous said...

It definitely wasn't "Joan of Arcadia" (which I miss). It seemed more like 7th Heaven meets Desperate Housewives. I'll give it one more chance...

Claire Joy said...

The adopted son is not having sex with the Bishop's daughter. I think it might be the senior warden's daughter. (He's some big muckety-muck in the parish) It's the fact that she's only fifteen is the problem… jailbait.

Anonymous said...

I did not see it. Like you, CJ, I think both Quinn and Burstyn are much better actors than this show will allow us to see. As a huge JoA fan, I too did not want to be disappointed. (d-i-l)

Word verification: ehzfaq

"Easy frequently asked question" of the above comment:

Favorite Quinn vehicle? Legends of the Fall, Avalon, Empire Falls (more recently)

Favorite Burstyn Vehcicle? Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Requiem for a Dream, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Same Time Next Year, The Exorcist

Anonymous said...

Here's the review in Beliefnet from Barbara Crafton--very funny! http://beliefnet.com/story/182/story_18242_1.html

Claire Joy said...

Great link to BCC+'s review. Thanks!
We've already decided here to give it one more week before we puke.

Anonymous said...

Now there's a visual!!! LOL!!!!