Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Do you suppose I'm depressed?

As I've mentioned before, I'm taking an online course called "The Universe Story." The purpose of the course is to inspire the student to revere the Universe itself as a living, self-organizing, sacred creation. The subtitle of the main book (also called The Universe Story) for the course says: From the Primordial Flaring Forth to the Ecozoic Era, A Celebration of the Unfolding of the Cosmos. This goes beyond ecology-mindedness and tree-hugging. It requires a leap from thinking about the universe as a place, and understanding it as a Being. I have to admit I'm still not there. I do get it's not a place, any more than my body is a place for the red blood cells that travel through it, that each is a part of a larger more complex identity. But then I go: so what?

For one thing, all the scientific data compiled to strike awe into my soul has done just the opposite; it leaves me depressed. Back in the bacteria/single-celled days of our ancestry we learned how to eat each other. Aggression ruled. Some cells survived because other cells allowed themselves to be consumed. Another book called Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond gives an early example of the Maori overtaking the Moriori and killing them all off. The Moriori had adopted a way of life that was peaceful and simple. They were no match for the warlike Maori who apparently felt no remorse for the slaughter. Agression ruled again.

What's so different today? Jesus said: Love your enemy. Do good to those who hate you. But from the beginning of time those who believe this have been the ones who have sacrificed (or been sacrificed) so the aggressive could live. What's wrong with this picture? Jesus also said: The meek will inherit the earth. But it looks like that won't happen until after the rest of us have ruined it for all human habitation. They'll inherit a dump. Wahoo.

10 comments:

HeyJules said...

Okay, I know you're being depressed and all but this post made me giggle at the end. Sorry you feel so bad but thanks for the chuckle you brought to my lips. Wahoo, indeed!

Anonymous said...

I'm somewhat interested in all this "new cosmology" stuff too, even as it blows my mind. Mostly I took a break from it because it really made me question "so where does Jesus fit in all of this." Not that it's bad to question, but I can feel your frustration and struggle. I'm somewhat familiar with that series you're working with, but I haven't seen too much of it. I have a copy of "Quantum Theology" that I'm pretty excited about but can only take in small, infrequent, gulps. I like to have my mind blown a little bit, but sometimes too much shaking of the foundation leaves me dizzy and unsure about EVERYTHING.

Ever watched What the Bleep Do We Know? Same kinda thing.

Claire Joy said...

Hey, I loved that movie (I'll never eat regular chicken again gack!) until someone told me half of it was faked. I hate when that happens.

Anonymous said...

I never really analyzed it. What did "they" mean by faked?

At any rate, I like all the possibilities and "think-points" it raises. I bought it used on DVD recently, but haven't re-watched it yet. I'm betting there's some cool special features on there too.

Claire Joy said...

Can't remember whether it was the scientific claims that were in question or the credentials. (You know somebody's always going to take potshots.) Here's another good book: The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot. My son sent it to me a year ago. It's been around the convent a couple of times.

Sixtina87 said...

HELLO!!!!!!! falala....dont know to say....i found a post from you on lauren's blog.....thought i would check out yours!!!

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

The weirdest thing about What the Bleep Do you know is that I watched it in the movie theater that Marlee Matilin is sitting in in the movie watching a movie (Bagdad Theater in Portland).

now if that wasn't enough to blow my mind!

Anonymous said...

Woah, Susan, that's pretty cool! I love little "claims to fame" like that....

Anonymous said...

check out this blog: thebuddhistblog.blogspot.com
Seems like there's a lot on holographics lately - - becky

They call him James Ure said...

I find that too much "thinking" is a bit like chasing the wind. I've been doing too much philosophic thinking lately instead of just breathing in the Infinite Space of it all.

I bow to you.