Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Queen of Denial

The first part of today's Gospel lesson from Luke (Luke 18: 31-43) reminds me of just how powerful (and protective) denial can be. Jesus tells his disciples "... everything written about the Son of Man will be accomplished." And he goes on to lay it out in blow-by-blow graphic detail what's going to happen in Jerusalem. But they understood nothing about all these things; in fact, what he said was hidden from them, and they did not grasp what was said.

Okay, I can relate to that, put myself in their shoes. Ohhh that's terrible. Wonder who the Son of Man is... Duh. But it's not the message I wanted to hear just now... that you are going to die... that you are going to be insulted, and spit upon, and flogged, and then killed right before my eyes. So... I am in complete denial about what you just said.

It happens all the time in so many small ways that protect us from difficult truths we aren't yet able to face. Where am I in denial today God? What have you just told me I didn't want to hear?

No comments: