Friday, March 24, 2006

The Lord Will Provide

I just love Barbara Crafton's way with words. What, you've never heard of Barbara Crafton? She's an Episcopal priest, actor, writer, spiritual director, wife, mother... all time incredible wonderful woman. And she's funny. She wrote a hilarious book called Some Things You Just Have to Live With... Musings on Middle Age that made me wet my pants, but she also writes serious, thoughtful meditations. She's done them for Advent, Lent, the Psalms. Take a look at her website found on my sidebar: The Geranium Farm.

Anyway, she also sends out emos. These are almost daily meditations on whatever she's thinking about at the moment, and she sends them by email to a select list. (You can be included just by asking. See her website.) Today's made me laugh out loud, given my rant on Ken Gire's putting words (not supported by scripture) into people's mouths. For some reason her doing it doesn't bother me in the least. I like her style. I like her. Ken I don't know. The following is from her emo today. (See if you can figure out who is who in the conversation... duh.)

"...but what good are these for so many?" —John 6:9

Well, that depends -- how foolish are you willing to be?
But it could get really ugly. There are way more of them than there are of us.
Yeah. But then, a lot of them won't like a three-mile hike back to town in the dark, either.
But what happens when we run out? Five loaves and two fish aren't enough. We won't be able to feed everyone!
And how many are you feeding now?
Um...none.
Right.
Well, what's our exit strategy?
What's an exit strategy?
Oh, jeez.
Yeah?
No, I mean, I don't like this. This is not going to end well.
It hasn't ended yet. Just wait and see. Trust me.

Sometimes, you have to start your good thing, even if you don't have an ending clearly in mind. Sometimes you just have to do the good thing right now, even if you don't know how you're going to finish it. Even if you don't have all the pieces yet. Even if you don't know what all the pieces are.

The Lord will provide.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your son told me I needed to comment on one of your last two posts because no one else had. I reminded him that he could comment too anytime he wanted. His reply ... I have no idea what most of her posts are about. Now that's an exit strategy if I ever heard of one.

Claire Joy said...

LOL and rolling on the floor!!!