Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Hearts of Stone

I realize for most moviegoers, this post will be outdated. But yesterday I went to see Brokeback Mountain... one of the most disturbing and heartbreaking films I've seen in a long time. I say disturbing... that word is inadequate. I was not disturbed by the sex scenes... I found nothing there gratuitous or obscene, simply the reality of life. What disturbed me was the reality of violent intolerance on the big screen, in my face. I live in a convent. We practice, with some success, a culture of tolerance for each other and for our annoying idiosyncrasies. On the bigger issues, we can actually be compassionate and forgiving. I forget that the world is not inclined to be compassionate, but cruel, ugly and judgmental... that people condemn out of hand, and actually kill each other over practices they don't understand or don't agree with or believe are somehow alien or immoral.

In this case, love could not be open. The time, place, culture... all worked against these two men. They did the best they could. Tried to fit in, lead society's version of "normal" lives, but there was nothing but a wake of heartbreak in their choices. God forgive us this kind of intolerance.

4 comments:

HeyJules said...

Amen, Claire Joy, amen.

Closed said...

This move left us sobbing in our chairs. Hits too close to home. I think monastic practice has so much to share with us about treating one another kindly and working toward spaces of hospitality toward one another in our differences.

Steve Middleton said...

Brokeback Mountain has had a profound effect on me. Even weeks after seeing it I find parts of it returning to my mind. A true tragedy - not only about sexuality but poverty - not only in the monetary sense, but poverty of affection, care, kindness and understanding. The final scene of Ennis alone in his trailer - daughter leaving for another man to be her husband, and him with only the postcard and the two shirts wrapped together - the one protecting the other was just heart breaking, as was the scene of Ennis after the first time on Brokeback not being able to express his love or being able to tell Jack how much he loved him - and then being sick behind the rancher's office because he just could not bear to be without him. A profound film - not just a gay cowboy movie.

Steve Middleton said...

Sorry - meant to say - thanks for a new perspective here. Blogging produces such serendipity - accidentally coming across unusual new views of the world.