Friday, February 24, 2006

Friday Five

This "Friday Five" from fellow sister blogger Susan Rose... (who got it from somewhere else)

I've been reflecting this week on the gift of friendship, of people who will be there no matter what you need or when you need it. Sometimes a friend accompanies us through a dark place or dances with us through a joyful time or simply walks down the road of an ordinary time beside us. Name five friends who have been there when you needed them.

I thought this would be an easy post. No way. Impossible to limit it to five, so there are more missing than listed. But here goes anyway...

Charlie... My high school church youth advisor, who rescued me from a dysfunctional alcoholic home, taught me my first lessons in compassion by being compassionate, took me to my first Benjamin Britten concert, let me drive his car, sent me roses on my sixteenth birthday... the first love of my life.

Jean... who gently brought me back into the body of Christ by convincing me I'd like singing in the choir with her. Who grieved with me during my mother's death, and notified everyone about the memorial service, who has patiently suffered my outrageous comments and foul mouth, and still loves me.

Nan... the only friend I know who loves giving presents as much as I did, who could always anticipate when I'd be depressed and have some special treat waiting at my workstation, who offered sound advice without ever judging. She was also the best boss I ever had: the perfect combination of friend, colleague and supervisor.

Richard... who loved me at a time when I was sure nobody could, would or should; the father of my two beautiful children, who danced with me at our son's wedding, even though he was remarried and his wife had to sit it out alone.

Steve... who has had more good sense on more occasions than I care to remember, when I've impulsively spoken without thinking... who told me once when I said I thought I wanted to be a priest, "Why can't you find a way to use the talents and the gifts God has already given you?" and was more right than he'll ever know.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your beautiful thoughts about friendship.

Pilot Mom said...

How blessed you have been CJ to be able to call these wonderful people friends! :) Thanks for sharing.