Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Feast of the Holy Innocents

My literal heart, my chronological need for B to follow A always skips an irritable beat when we celebrate this feast before Epiphany. I want the wise men to come and leave and then celebrate. (Not that celebrate is the term I would use to describe the murder of children).

Some say that there's no historical proof that Herod slaughtered babies in Bethlehem… that it never happened. Okay then, why does such a story ring so true, feel so close to home?

That's a no brainer. The greedy and fearful have always killed the innocent to achieve their directives. They call it expedience, collateral damage, the ends justifying the means… and down through the ages atrocities have been covered up when the ends weren't met, and the means suddenly took on a different spin. Too close to home, this story. Even my personal chronological preferences give way to the awesome truth that evil still moves in a world where God exists.

3 comments:

Pat said...

I've been following your blog for a bit. Also was intrigued to find there are Protestant communities of women. Wow! Now if I can find one where the uniform is jeans and t-shirt…
:-)

Anyway, my cry goes out fairly often in a public kind of way about the slaughter of innocents today, and I thought I'd share with you my most recent writing.
http://www.mytown.ca/denino

Thank you for your presence on blogger.

Claire Joy said...

Thank you for your thoughts (and link). As a grandmother I can so relate to your post. I often think of those other grandmothers, wonder who they are, how they cope…

We wear jeans and tee shirts a lot up here in Brewster. Come visit us!

Pat said...

Thank you! I might visit as a retreat. I'll read your website. A friend and I will be making a "retreat" of sorts to an annual ecumenical franciscan gathering in St. Louis this summer. But a retreat without a "plan" sounds wonderful. My traveling companions, i.e. painting, writing, and meditation, yearn to come together in a retreat setting so as to hear God's word even more clearly.
Peace and joy to your new year.