Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Emerging Church

One of the better takes on "Emerging Church" (yet another buzzword in our ongoing church evolution) can be found here. And while this post was written back in April of last year, (always a late bloomer... that's me), The buzzword is just now getting spread around at St. Bart's in Manhattan. They have a new 7:00 pm service on Sunday nights called Emerge.

They've had a 7:00 pm Eucharist for a few years, now. It was originally called "Come as You Are", which I personally liked. I loved the dress code and the metaphor. What better way to come to God's altar than as you are... stripping away all the pretenses... ALL of them. I haven't had an opportunity to check out Emerge yet. Maybe when I move back to the city I'll see if I can get a Sunday night off. But I digress...

In his post, Kyle Potter says:
Being together as a people, who are blessed to be a blessing, is the great work for God that we are called to do.

If that truly is what emerging church is all about, then we can certainly all use a little more of it these days.

5 comments:

Kyle said...

Thank you for your kind words, Sister. I'm pleased you found my perspective helpful. :0)

Luke said...

What you've written Sr, is the way the church must go, to strip away all that hinders and to let God's people come as they are to worship Him ,warts and all!

see-through faith said...

come as you are ... brilliant :) I like what you've written here.

kpjara said...

I'm really tired of the buzzwords and the proper verbage for naming what Christ died teaching us.

I just get so darn frustrated seeing people try to "SELL" Christianity. It very often feels like many exclusive clubs to me...the emergent movement, post-modernism, reformissional...all of it!

I guess I feel kind of passionate about this, huh?

Luke said...

I don't think thats the case at all, I don't think it's trying to SELL the faith, simply this is saying what our faith is about, Jesus Christ takes us as we are.